It has been 3 months since Supercross riders have been able to race. Moto riders returned to the track Sunday afternoon at Rice-Eccles stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah. No fans were allowed, and special social-distancing measures were in place as crews had to wear masks.
As the gate dropped for the 450SX main event, Blake Baggett grabbed the lucky holeshot. Eli Tomac wasted no time clawing his way to the front of the pack, passing Cooper Webb in second, then Baggett for the lead. Tomac needed a win to stretch out his points lead over Ken Roczen who managed to finish third. Eight points now separate the two riders.
“It’s so cool to get to go back to racing here in Salt Lake City and get back to riding and racing and doing what we know. Overall, awesome day there. The track got really slick at the end, lots of dust flying and lots of hunting for traction. I was a little slower early on, got to improve on that next time, especially if these guys up their game. So overall, really good day for points and just thanks to everyone,” said Tomac.
In the Eastern Regional Lites class, Shane McElrath grabbed a win and extended his points leads. McElrath lead wire to wire. Racing returns to NBC Sports this coming Wednesday, June 3rd as the Supercross series works to finish all remaining rounds in the coming weeks in Utah.
450SX Class Results
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki
2. Cooper Webb, Clermont, Fla., KTM
3. Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda
4. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna
5. Zach Osborne, Abingdon, Va., Husqvarna
6. Martin Davalos, Tallahassee, Fla., KTM
7. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., KTM
8. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha
9. Justin Brayton, Charlotte, N.C., Honda
10. Dean Wilson, Murrieta, Calif., Husqvarna
450SX Class Championship Standings
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Kawasaki (252)
2. Ken Roczen, Clermont, Fla., Honda (244)
3. Cooper Webb, Clermont, Fla., KTM (220)
4. Justin Barcia, Greenville, Fla., Yamaha (210)
5. Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., Husqvarna (189)
6. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda (164)